For Immediate Release
Contact: Cooper Mohr, Cooper@LynnAfendoulis.com
GRAND RAPIDS, MICH., – Below you will find the response to the attack ad from Never Trumper Peter Meijer against conservative Lynn Afendoulis. Candidates who release polls saying they are up 24 points as Meijer did, do not attack other candidates. Never Trumper Meijer knows that voters have been responding to how Lynn led the fight against Governor Whitmer’s overreach, how Lynn is proudly pro-life, and will work with President Trump to bring Michigan back. In contrast, Peter Meijer has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on TV ads but has never mentioned the President’s name one time.
“Peter Meijer is the definition of a Never Trump Republican. He founded a group that spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to help Nancy Pelosi take the majority in congress and impeach President Trump. Meijer’s attack shows that he is scared of voters learning that truth,” said Cooper Mohr, Campaign Manager, Afendoulis for Congress.
Meijer Ad Hypocrisy:
Meijer attacks Lynn for passing legislation that Meijer Inc.’s trade association names Lynn Afendoulis one of their Legislators of the Year in 2019. The bipartisan legislation, which passed 110-0 in the House and 38-0 in the Senate, saved Main Street Michigan from Jeff Bezos and Amazon.
Meijer becomes the first candidate to air a negative ad despite saying on June 15th:
“If you’re spending all of your time talking trash, West Michigan is better than that and I think folks who run for office should be dead set on saying why they are the strongest candidate and will represent their home best rather than spending more time talking about someone else’s perceived failings,” Peter Meijer, Kent County GOP Town Hall, minute 51:26.
Meijer’s Never Trump History
- In March of 2017, Peter Meijer authored an op-ed where he said the Trump White House is a backdrop of “half-truths and outright lies.” [Task & Purpose Op-Ed, 3/17/17]
- October 14, 2016, Peter Meijer donated to a group that was founded to “oppose Trump’s corrupt agenda of hate.” [Federal Election Commission, 10/14/16]; [Common Defense website]
- Meijer is a founding board member of the “With Honor” Super PAC
- This group spent money electing nine democrats in 2018 – and every one of them voted to impeach President [H.Res. 660 Vote 604]
- Meijer’s group made direct donations to Nancy Pelosi, Emily’s List, and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, [Federal Election Commission]
- The group received $250,000 from former Democratic Presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg
- Meijer contributed the maximum possible contribution to Justin Amash in December of 2017 [Federal Election Commission, 12/31/17]
- This was after members of President Trump’s team had called for a primary opponent.
Lynn is running for Congress because she believes we are fighting for the very fabric of who and what we are–the things that President Trump is fighting for and that attracted her grandparents to this country. She wants to protect the rule of law and represent the people of the 3rd District in a way that they’ve been yearning for – with integrity, engagement, and effectiveness. And to show her children that this is all worth fighting for.
Full Bio Click here
You can follow along with Lynn’s campaign on Facebook and see her campaign website here.